Growing up is more comfortable

In college I had this obsession with all things Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart runs were the highlight of my week, whether for a midnight Smallville release or to stock up on Malt-O-Meal cereal--the greatest knock-off brand on Earth. But, a big reason I dug Wal-Mart was the way it helped me avoid doing laundry. Let me explain. I'm of the belief that a pair of blue jeans can be worn for weeks on end with no downgrade in cleanliness and a serious upgrade in comfortability. T-shirts can be reworn under the condition that three sniffs horizontally from pit to pit reveal no funky odors and/or said shirt has spent sufficient time in a laundry basket or pile. And, sweatshirts can be worn endlessly as long as the garment in questions reveals no visible food stain. These rules got me through college and actually became more lax overseas. In short, I love being a guy. BUT, even as a guy, I have rules. These rules specifically concern the re-wearing of socks and underwear, which I only allow under the worst of circumstances. Which brings me back to Wal-Mart. And laundry. My laundry cycle ended when my supply of socks and underwear ended. There was an art to having the supply of each end at the right and same time. But, there were times when one ended early (for one reason or another) or simply, I didn't want to do laundry. And so, the Wal-Mart run, where I stocked up on Fruit of the Loom tube socks and boxer briefs. (Sorry for the details, but that's just good storytelling.) A new pair was heaven. I lived for living out of a plastic bag of socks--because really, there's nothing like a new pair of socks. Which brings me to my point.

Since graduating from college and living a year away from home, and then coming back, I've been trying to figure out who exactly I am after college and China. For example, I do laundry now. And when "the cycle" ended this last time, I didn't turn to Wal-Mart. I realized that the socks I'd been buying cheaply and enthusiastically, beyond that first magical wear, really weren't that comfortable. And they got threadbare real quick. So, I decided to go Gold Toe. It really was a hard decision, but here in the first pre-wash wear, I'm feeling good. And I even took 'em out of the plastic bag.

Oh, and by the way, this is just sick:



More on Apple's new hotness later. For now, I think I'm in love.

Comments