Sushi, Mandarin and must-see TV?

So, I realized (as I said) that I really do miss China and decided to do something about it. Last night after I posted I spent a while studying Chinese, which I haven't really done since I got back to the Meiguo. I'm focusing on reading and writing what I can already say and understand, and I remember more than I thought I did. And then, since I've been in an Asia sort-of mood, tonight I stopped for some Japanese takeout and overheard the hostess speaking Chinese. I asked her if she was from China (which I knew she was, because she was speaking familiar Mandarin) and told her I heard her speaking Chinese, which is a very obvious clue that I understand Chinese. She then said (right on cue), "you speak Chinese?" and the conversation went from there. Turns out she's from Beijing (even lived in the same district as me) and came to America about a month before I came home. Speaking Mandarin is something I haven't done with another human being for a while, so it was nice to say the least. Hopefully the past couple days' efforts can continue.

By the way, I haven't changed the channel since watching The Office and Scrubs earlier on NBC, and lo and behold, a couple hours later ER is almost over. George Clooney, Goose and Noah Wyle are all gone, but (and I find this pretty funny) the new doctors in the Cooke County emergency room include:

Uncle Jessie from Full House
The guy from A Walk to Remember, that Mandy Moore movie
The Indian girl from Bend it Like Beckham
The brown-haired daughter from Roseanne
And, Lady Macbeth from Scotland, PA

All those sort of weirded me out. Maybe I just watch too much TV.

Comments