Pittsburgh numero uno?

So I love Pittsburgh, but something about this ranking seems a little fishy.

According to the article, we didn't do anything well, but we did everything pretty average. From crime to real estate to uh, whatever else they ranked (I haven't looked all the closely... if you can't tell) we were pretty much middle of the pack (our highest ranking: recreation, was 21st), and that, in the end, put us on top. I say that's lame.

While we couldn't compete with New York for cultural diversity or Portland, Ore., for the greatest use of libraries, our total score was enough to put the city ahead of Philadelphia, San Francisco and Boston.

"Some people call Pittsburgh's showing as the triumph of the mildly good," said Savageau, recalling the skeptics who questioned Pittsburgh's No. 1 ranking in 1985.

"It's mildly good all across the categories," he said. "Even the climate is kind of dead center. But for people who are looking for low stress, for normalcy, for affordability, for four-season climate change, for a modest crime rate, for big city amenities, that's Pittsburgh."


So, how many Pittsburghers really love living here? And if they love it here, why are they leaving?

I could tell you the reasons why I do indeed love it here (the rivers, the bridges, the museums, the Thai food, the streets, the neighborhoods, fries on sammitches and salads, the sports teams... which most of which, I suppose, would count as "ambiance"?) but the biggest reason why I'll always love Pittsburgh is because I'm just the sort of guy that gives his heart to whatever he