There's still time

(I'm pretty sure that) all 18 episodes are still available online, so you have absolutely no excuse to not be ready for Monday, the return of NBC's hit show Heroes, and, on a personal note, the return of the show that I actually like more than LOST. (Sorry, Kate.)


If you don't think there's time, just try concentrating.

As NBC is billing it, it's time to save the world. I'll try not to include any spoilers, in case you're cramming as I suggested, but here are the main reasons why I heart Heroes.

1. Hiro. The lovable Japanese time-bender had me from "yattaa." Although he always reminds us of what it means to be a true superhero, Hiro's really a nerd at heart (with lines like "I come in peace" and "great Scott!") and, even better, he doesn't, as of yet, speak English "berry good." It's Hiro's destiny/quest to save the world that's fueled most of season one, and we've gotten a peak at what future seasons might look like... as in:

2. Future Hiro. Episode 5, entitled "Hiros," is the episode that officially hooked me on the series. Before then I liked it, since then I've loved it. Future Hiro is a picture of what the show could be. As all these hero newbs, particularly those with crazy potential like Hiro and Peter, learn to use their powers, it'll be cool to see what lies ahead (for good... or bad), especially when the future we've already seen wears a soul patch, ponytail and carries a katana sword. Sweet.

3. Peter vs. Sylar. As of now (meaning Peter pinned against a wall with his head being sliced open) we're looking at this as good vs. evil, light/dark dichotomy of the same idea, borrowing/stealing powers from other heroes... in one way or the other. Both are awesome characters and, lucky for us, maybe not for them, their story-lines are clearly coming to a point. When the series comes back (Monday!), they will fight, and it will be awesome.

4. It's still the first season. Critics of LOST will say that we never get any answers, and Heroes is giving us answers. To that I say, go back and watch the first season of LOST again. I think too many people jumped on the LOST bandwagon too far in (or too quickly, or with too much information) to really remember what it was like at the beginning when we didn't know anything about Kate, Locke, Sawyer or Smokie. To that effect Heroes hasn't had as many surprises/reveals, I'd say. However, the storyline we're privy to is progressing, and I get the impression that the makers of Heroes have chosen to pursue a season-long story arc (like 24) rather than a series-long story arc (like LOST). I say that's a good thing. Likewise, the pacing has been solid. There hasn't been a Battlestar Galactica second half of season 2 or the first six episodes of Lost season 3 to slow down the action (except, you could argue, for any Niki/Jessica stuff and Matt Parkman's love life). The Peter, Sylar, Hiro, Claire, Mr. Bennet and the Haitian stories, however, have been awesome.

I forget what list I was originally making at this point (and hope, in general, I made worthwhile points at all at almost 3 in the morning), but the point is, watch Heroes. It's awesome. Save the world.

Comments