Word or not a word?

The "word" up for debate today is:

Agreeance.

My knowledge of the use of this word is that it is synonymous with the actual word "agreement." In a sentence: "The committee, despite much heated debate, seemed to find itself in agreeance."

I'd love to get your opinions on this, because I hear this word said a lot, and have for a while, often by people whose use of the English language I otherwise respect. I am under the impression that it is not a word, and Unwords.com would seem to back me up. However, I am all for the fluidity and adaptability of the English language, so let me know where you're at with "agreeance," and I'll make an official ruling after enough of us have weighed in.

Comments

Evie Hemphill said…
No, "agreeance" is definitely NOT a word. It's a let's-see-if-I-can-sound-intelligent melding of "concurrence" and "agreement." (We did a whole Dear Beatrice about this, remember?)
Jonathan Dodd said…
I don't remember the Dear Bea to be honest, but I do remember Neeks using "agreeance" three or four times a week at the Student Senate meetings.

So that's one vote no from Evie the Grammar Nazi.
Chris said…
I was going to be in disagreeance with evie, but then i heard neeks used it all the time; so....


i abstain.
Jonathan Dodd said…
Two votes no. Neeks may be the deciding factor.
Jonathan Dodd said…
(Sorry Chris... I overruled your abstaining.)
Jason said…
"Agreeance" is a clunky and--if you break it down and say it slowly--sounds a lot like an agricultural statistic.